jueves, 17 de febrero de 2011

Guatemalan & Puerto Rican

        My heritage is a very weird mix. I am half Guatemalan and half Puerto Rican, my mother is Puerto Rican and my father is Guatemalan. My father was an illegal alien in which entered the U.S illegally. He went through a lot, he had to go through dessert and sometimes there were not enough water to drink and had to drink his own pee to be kept alive. It took him 2 months to arrive to Texas and then from there take a plane and go to Virginia. After took a bus to Rhode Island.

          Now he is currently legal, has a green card. Travels every year to Guatemala. I have many family members from my Fathers side in which they are illegal. My brother went through the same my dad went through. My uncle was caught through dessert and was sent to jail. Trying to immigrate from one place to another and especially illegally isn't easy. They go through many risks physically and mentally. They go through days in starvation and with not a bit of water to drink.

            What i learned from my family is that life wasn't easy especially my dad's side. My mother has been legal since the day she was born and had no trouble to immigrate from one place to another but in the other hand, my dad went through a lot to be where he is now and be the person he is today. He worked hard to be the person and the role model he is now. He inspires me so much to fight for my dream because his dream since he was a child was to move to the U.S and have a better life and so he did and he didn't give up until he achieved it and thats inspiring.

1 comentario:

  1. Wow Mykaella, it sounds like your family has gone through a lot. make sure you hold onto this history of your family so that it is not forgotten!

    ResponderEliminar